I am a Golden Retriever
Did my blog post title scare you? Don't worry, I haven't gone all "doggy" on you. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs as much as the next person, but I am not one of "those" crazy dog lovers kinda people. I am not gonna knit my dog a sweater, or push it around in a baby stroller, LORD HAVE MERCY WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS???? I digress.....
But seriously, I AM a total golden retriever. Meaning: When you become my friend, you are my friend for life. Period. End of story. You can't get away from me! I guess you could, but not without a fight!
I take my friendships very seriously. At least I try to. I am not so good at the long distance friendships, as far as keeping in touch with, unless it is on Facebook. But, trust me..even if I haven't seen you for 20 years and we get together, it will be as if we have never left each other.
I know this because I just had this experience with my friend Kathleen in Temecula, CA. We had not seen each other since Bruce and I were newlyweds. She used to come visit us in AZ. (She was one of my few California friends who was brave enough to come to AZ!) We lost touch along the way. She has since married and had 2 beautiful kids. We reconnected on...you guessed it, FACEBOOK. Gotta love that Facebook, seriously. Anyway, Bruce and I had to go to a wedding in Temecula and she lives there! She offered to let us stay with them and we took them up on it! So we spent two nights and two days in Tom and Kathleen's home. It was like we had seen each other yesterday..no joke. We had the best time reminiscing and laughing about our days working at Maryvale, the orphanage in Calif. we worked at together. What precious memories this visit made. And, it confirmed that fact that I am a golden retriever. Kathleen was still woven into the fibers of my heart.
I guess I am kind of a needy golden retriever cuz if you are my friend, I like lots of deep conversations. None of that surfacy stuff for me. I want to really know what is going on in your heart. I also want to share my heart with you...so if you don't like that mushy stuff, then don't become my friend, cuz I will try to go there with you. And if you don't like it, you will definitely be uncomfortable and I will feel it, cuz I am kind of discerning that way. :)
Thankfully, the Lord has been gracious enough to fill my life with people who fulfill these crazy needs of mine for deep friendships. I seriously have an abundance of them and am so blessed by every one of them. These are friends who have walked some pretty tough roads with my family the past few years. Quite frankly, I am surprised that they are not sick of the drama. One friend recently told me that she doesn't need reality tv, cuz she's got me!! Eegads, that is quite a reputation. But I am honored that she still listens to me and offers to pray for me.
I guess the Lord knew that this golden retriever needed some other golden retriever friends who will stick by her like glue. I am so grateful!!

Bawling.
you and me baby we're stuck like glue. lol.