Anabel

Emma and I spent last evening with our dear friends Steve and Jill Ressler's daughter, Anabel who is in Phoenix Children's Hospital being treated for leukemia.  They have it worked out so that every Sunday from 4pm until Monday morning, friends come and hang out with Anabel so they can spend the evening as a family with their other children.

Can I just tell you what a blessing this was?  Anabel has Down's Syndrome and not that that is of utmost importance, except for the fact that she is the most content child ever.  She has been through 3+ rounds of chemo and she is not fussy, whiny or cantankerous as I am quite certain a "typical" 3 year old child would be in this circumstance.  She was happy to be watching Barney on a little DVD player.  She walked the 5 feet or so to the door and back many many times over the course of the evening.  (she is not allowed to leave her room right now due to the danger of germs)  She went over to the "neighbors" who are about 3 feet away in the same room.  Wayne, the father of the 21 year old boy who is her roommate was so sweet and let her climb all over him.

I was struck with how this situation brings people together.  People who probably otherwise would never have the chance to connect.  I spent a long time talking to Wayne and Tyler, who share Anabel's room with her.  Wayne told me of the very hard decision they have to make in the next week- whether or not to have Tyler's leg amputated due to the cancer.  As this 21 year old boy lay in his bed, bald and looking so vulnerable, I thought "why, Lord?"  Why them?  Why Anabel?  This could very easily be one of my kids.  How does the Lord decide who gets cancer and who doesn't?  My mom was one of those who got it.   I told Tyler I could kind of relate to the mouth sores he is dealing with.  Only because my mom had the same thing while going through chemo.  I remember her telling me that was one of the worst parts of chemo.  But really, I felt silly telling him that.  Because really, could I relate?  I mean, I am not having to decide whether or not I will have a leg for the rest of my life...at 21.  It is so much to bear.

I also think of Steve and Jill.  One of them spends everyday and night at Anabel's side.  And I know I would do the same thing.  But it's so hard.  The room is so small.  There is so much suffering in the hospital.

But the Lord is so faithful.  When I got home and told Bruce about our evening he said "oh I would have cried."  I didn't though.  I didn't feel sad.  I was reminded that the Lord allows hard things in our life because He knows that they bring us closer to Him.  It makes us more holy.  It gives us a chance to minister to others.  I know that Steve and Jill are such a witness to whoever ends up sharing a room with them.  They have joy, even in the suffering, they have joy.  And even in the pain, we are made stronger.

I learned so much in one short evening.  I was reminded again how precious life is.  How precious everyday is.  That we need to live "life out loud" whatever our circumstances.  Whether it is in health, or in sickness.  We need to minister to others.  We need to pray for others.  We need to serve others.

Live Abundantly  – (February 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM)  

Thanks for your post! It brought tears to my eyes to know of the continued suffering that the Resslers are going through. I agree, from the very beginning they have been a testimony to God's faithfulness in the ups and the downs of life!

Bruce  – (February 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM)  

I still would have cried even knowing the truth that you so elegantly shared.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP